Chawand

chawand

Name            : Chawand (Samadhi (trance) of Maharaja Pratap)

Situated        : 40 kms of Udaipur

Person built : Ruler Of Mewar

Chawand is a historical village located in Udaipur district, Rajasthan. It was the capital of Maharana Pratap in 1585 and was continued to be the capital city till 1615. Chawand was also a major center of the Mewar School of Painting.

This place is famous for the memorial erected for the noble Pratap. The architecture at Chawand reflects a Spartan Defense – consciousness. Pratap was cremated in the nearby village Bandoli, on the banks of a small stream.

Chawand is about 40 kms south of Udaipur. From Chawand, if one so wishes, one can carry on via Parsad, to the temple-town of Rishabhdeo. The typical offering is that of saffron so much so that the idol has been nicknamed Keshariyaji. Although a Jain shrine, the Hindus also revere it and Bhils, in particular, used to swear by the saffron offered at Kesariyaji. It is a typical, sprawling complex abuzz with activity and the nucleus for a large fair every year.

From Jaisamand, one can go on to Chawand. After the reverse suffered at Haldighati, Maharana Pratap took to the jungles and a guerilla mode of warfare. It was during this phase that Pratap acquired Chawand and made it his capital in 1585. It has been noted that the architecture at Chawand reflects a spartan defense – consciousness. It is said that Pratap was cremated here in 1597 A.D. in the nearby village Bandoli, on the banks of a small stream. Chawand continued to be the capital city till 1615. Besides, it was a major early center of the Mewar school of painting.

Today, Chawand is known for the memorial erected for the noble Pratap.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *